Man arrested in Carlisle rape inquiry
Published at 11:37, Sunday, 18 March 2012
A man has been arrested on suspicion of rape after a woman was attacked in an alley.
Police today confirmed a 43-year-old suspect was in custody following an investigation launched after an assault in Carlisle city centre at the weekend.
The attack happened between 11pm on Saturday and the early hours of yesterday off Aglionby Street.
An inquiry was launched and officers yesterday taped off the alley, which leads from Aglionby Street onto neighbouring Brunswick Street.
Officers later said they wanted to appeal to people who were in this part of the city or drinking in nearby bars – particularly the Border Rambler on Botchergate or Gallagher’s on St Nicholas Street – to come forward if they had information.
Aglionby Street is close to the bars and nightclubs of Botchergate.
Police said the woman was being supported by trained officers and helping police.
A force statement said: “A dedicated team of detectives have been conducting a number of inquiries.
“Police can confirm that detectives have arrested a 43-year-old local man on suspicion of rape.
“The man remains in police custody and is helping police with their inquiries.”
Anyone with any information can contact Carlisle CID on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|