Police confirm woman found in river was missing Cumbrian pensioner
Last updated at 17:15, Wednesday, 15 January 2014
Police have confirmed that the body of a woman found in a river this morning was Elizabeth Fisher.
The discovery was made by mountain rescue volunteers at 12.30am today.
The 69-year-old's body was found in the River Greta in the Keswick area, though few details have yet been released. Formal identification took place this afternoon.
The tragedy came after a day and a half of intensive police inquiries about Mrs Fisher, whose grey Volkswagen car was discovered near her home yesterday.
She was last seen travelling from Lamplugh on Monday morning after visiting a relative there. She left for her home at 9am but never arrived, say police.
Late yesterday afternoon, police said they had drafted in local mountain rescue volunteers and were conducting searches in the area where the pensioner’s car was found, working through the hours of darkness.
Officers have also carried out house-to-house inquiries.
The alarm was raised by a relative when Mrs Fisher failed to ring from home as she had promised to do.
First published at 10:47, Tuesday, 14 January 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)