Police close Botchergate in Carlisle
Last updated at 12:44, Tuesday, 25 September 2012
Botchergate was closed for more than an hour after chunks of stone fell into the street yesterday (Monday).
It is understood that two men in a cherry picker were working on the roof of the former Mood2 nightclub around 12.15pm when stonework became unstable. It came away as they were lowered to the ground.
Eye witness Tom Coward, manager of The Border Rambler pub opposite, said it was “a huge bit of stone”.
“There was a crane up there inspecting and, when it came down, the stone started to come away,” he said.
“It got stuck between the crane and building and was teetering for about five or 10 minutes before it fell to the ground.”
Nobody was hurt. Police closed the road immediately north of the Tait Street junction and diverted traffic while firefighters checked the four-storey building and removed more loose masonry.
Station manager Craig Drinkald, of Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, said: “As far as we can ascertain the men were doing work on the building when a piece of masonry was dislodged.
“They got themselves down but the masonry came off. Fortunately there was nobody below.
“We have been working with building control officers from the city council to remove any loose masonry.”
Two fire appliances and a hydraulic platform attended the incident.
Police re-opened the road to traffic at 1.30pm.
Mood2 closed in 2008 and has stood empty ever since.
First published at 13:10, Monday, 24 September 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
Why don't they just pull it down and build an ikea or primark it would look so much better
Make your comment
Have your say
- Parking shake-up in historic area of Carlisle (9 comments)
- Speed limit lowered on Carlisle bypass 'rat runs' (9 comments)
- Lee Evans to perform gig in Cumbria (37 comments)
- Warning road closure could kill off trade in Cumbrian town (11 comments)
- Cumbria's 40,000 potholes will cost millions to repair (30 comments)
- Ex-Carlisle mayor boycotts Civic Centre 'party' in play park protest (20 comments)
- Northern Lights above Cumbria (5 comments)
- Equipment being ripped out of Carlisle play areas (52 comments)
- Main Carlisle road to close for work on new housing estate (42 comments)