Photographer attacked while taking pictures in Carlisle nightclub
Last updated at 11:34, Wednesday, 04 April 2012
A photographer has been awarded £500 compensation after she was attacked while taking pictures in a nightclub.
Jennifer Woolgar was knocked to the ground when a clubber ran at the stool she was standing on to ‘show off’ to his friends.
Carlisle Magistrates’ Court heard how Mrs Woolgar was standing on the stool inside Party Party, on Botchergate, taking pictures at 11.45pm on January 21.
Mark Paul Elliott, 27, performed a “sliding football tackle”, knocking her to the ground.
Prosecutor Jane Mackril told the court how she felt pain in her back and, when examined by her GP the next day, was told the muscular pain could last two weeks.
Her husband was in the club and contacted the bar manager who called the police.
Elliott was arrested for common assault, and admitted it when he appeared in court.
Elliott, of Crook Hill Close, Haydon Bridge, had been showing off to his friends, his defence solicitor Geoff Lockerbie said.
He only goes out once a week and maybe drinks too much, he said.
Elliott, who works for a road lining company, was showing off in front of his mates. He accepted it was ‘very misguided.’
Mr Lockerbie said he did not cause serious harm but admitted Mrs Woolgar had suffered pain and had been left “shocked and shaken”.
Elliott, who was ordered to pay £500 compensation, was sentenced to a one-year community order in which he has to complete 100-hours of unpaid work. He was also ordered to pay court costs of £85.
First published at 11:25, Wednesday, 04 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (22 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (118 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (7 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (19 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (58 comments)