Pet dog rescued from Cumbrian pond
Last updated at 12:02, Wednesday, 27 November 2013
A pet dog had to be rescued after it was marooned on an island.
Firefighters used an inflatable raft to reach the small Jack Russell cross terrier, called Lexi, who had become stranded off Pearson Close in Moor Row.
The dog ended up on the small island in the middle of a pond after going for a swim and deciding the water was too cold.
Fire crews from Workington and Whitehaven carrying specialist rescue equipment were called to the scene just after 3pm yesterday .
Adrian Holme, Workington station manager, said the island was only about three or four metres from shore but the water was very deep and the dog had been stranded for some time and had become very distressed.
Crews deployed the inflatable raft and laid it across the water to bridge the gap from the bank to the island.
One of the firefighters then coaxed the terrier by calling its name, bringing it safely back to shore to reunite it with its owners.
Mr Holme said the owners were a young couple who were left “embarrassed by the whole affair”. The dog was unharmed.
He also said the couple did the right thing in alerting the fire service.
“People have lost their lives when trying to retrieve their pets”, Mr Holme explained. “We would always advise people to contact the experts in situations like this.
“We take any rescue involving water very seriously and we have specialist equipment.”
First published at 11:33, Wednesday, 27 November 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)