Pensioner treated after chip pan fire rips through Cumbrian bungalow
Last updated at 11:34, Monday, 15 July 2013
A pensioner was recovering today after fire caused by an overheated chip pan tore through his home.
Fifteen firefighters were called out to tackle the blaze, which broke out shortly after 7pm yesterday in a bungalow at Whitestiles, Seaton.
The 69-year-old occupant had already escaped from the detached property when the fire crews – one from Workington and two from Maryport – arrived at the scene.
Workington White Watch crew manager Kevin Vannet, who was among the firefighters tackling the blaze, said the cause appeared to have been an overheated chip pan.
“The man living there had got out and was receiving treatment for smoke inhalation from ambulance staff,” he said.
“He was taken to hospital.”
The fire crews arrived to find thick black smoke billowing out of the bungalow and flames pouring out of the kitchen window.
“The fire had obviously got a good hold and we were there until 9.30pm. The property was severely damaged,” said Mr Vannet.
Once the blaze was under control, six firefighters in breathing apparatus went into the bungalow to confirm it was empty.
They used a powerful fan to ventilate the property.
Mr Vannet said members of the public should be aware of the inherent dangers in cooking chips in oil which has, over the years, has led to numerous house fires, some of them fatal.
It is understood that the pensioner was living alone in the bungalow.
Family members who live nearby were on hand to support him.
First published at 11:29, Monday, 15 July 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)