Friday, 27 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Pensioner treated after chip pan fire rips through Cumbrian bungalow

A pensioner was recovering today after fire caused by an overheated chip pan tore through his home.

Fifteen firefighters were called out to tackle the blaze, which broke out shortly after 7pm yesterday in a bungalow at Whitestiles, Seaton.

The 69-year-old occupant had already escaped from the detached property when the fire crews – one from Workington and two from Maryport – arrived at the scene.

Workington White Watch crew manager Kevin Vannet, who was among the firefighters tackling the blaze, said the cause appeared to have been an overheated chip pan.

“The man living there had got out and was receiving treatment for smoke inhalation from ambulance staff,” he said.

“He was taken to hospital.”

The fire crews arrived to find thick black smoke billowing out of the bungalow and flames pouring out of the kitchen window.

“The fire had obviously got a good hold and we were there until 9.30pm. The property was severely damaged,” said Mr Vannet.

Once the blaze was under control, six firefighters in breathing apparatus went into the bungalow to confirm it was empty.

They used a powerful fan to ventilate the property.

Mr Vannet said members of the public should be aware of the inherent dangers in cooking chips in oil which has, over the years, has led to numerous house fires, some of them fatal.

It is understood that the pensioner was living alone in the bungalow.

Family members who live nearby were on hand to support him.


News & Star What's On search


Will you be joining in the Black Friday spree?

Yes - great chance to bag a bargain

No - I'll be giving it a wide berth

I've done all my Christmas shopping already!

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: