Passer-by helps rescue child from crashed car in Cumbria
Last updated at 11:54, Wednesday, 06 August 2014
A passer-by helped free a child from an upturned car after a road crash in Dearham.
The 55-year-old from Broughton Moor, who was visiting his daughter in Dearham at about 12.10pm yesterday, was standing nearby when two cars collided on the A594 outside the Commercial Inn and The Ploughman.
A white Fiat Punto driven by an 18-year-old woman from Cockermouth and a silver Vauxhall Zafira driven by a 31-year-old Workington man were in collision.
The Zafira was upturned on to its side and had an eight-year-old girl inside.
The two drivers and girl were taken to Workington Community Hospital to be checked over, but they only had slight injuries.
The passer-by ran to the aid of the child and helped, along with the driver of the car, to pull her out of the car’s sunroof.
He said: “I was putting my grandson into the car when I heard a huge bang. As I looked up, the car was rolling on to its side. The girl was upside down and trapped in her seatbelt. She was screaming her head off, but she was fine. I think it was just the shock.”
Emergency services, including two fire trucks, were called to the scene.
Diversions were in place while the two cars were moved from the road and it was fully reopened shortly before 1.10pm.
First published at 11:42, Wednesday, 06 August 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|