Parking row landlady told to hand back barrels
Last updated at 11:48, Friday, 20 June 2014
A landlady who rolled out the barrels to stop irresponsible drivers parking outside of her pub is stumped after the brewery they belonged to demanded them back.
Helen Brown, of The Globe Inn in Hensingham, defied council officers who told her that the two barrels which she had painted with flowers had to be removed from the pavement as they were causing an obstruction.
However, she kept them outside and moved them onto her property so that the council was unable to move them.
But, last week, Ms Brown had no option but to hand the offending barrels over when the brewery which owned them asked for them back.
She is now appealing to other breweries, asking of they can donate any more.
“We have had those barrels for six years and nobody has ever wanted them back,” said Helen. “They were in the back of the pub and were rotten. Since they went people have been coming in and asking where they are. So many people loved what I had done to them – I could of made a business out of them. I’m just gutted.
“If any breweries have any damaged barrels, I’m asking if they can donate them.”
Helen and her partner Richard Cleaver put the barrels out to stop cars parking outside their pub while drivers nipped to the shops over the road. To tackle the problem, she painted two beer barrels with flowers and put them on the pavement to keep the cars away.
But shortly after, the couple received a letter from the council threatening them with a fine unless they removed the barrels as they were causing an obstruction. Since the barrels went, she has been putting an A-board out on the pavement to deter cars parking.
A county council spokesman said that if licensees have concerns about illegal parking, they should contact police. He added that the authority has a legal obligation to keep Cumbria’s pavements and roads free of obstruction.
First published at 11:45, Friday, 20 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)