X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 19 December 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Panicked driver drove off from police stop check in Carlisle

A man who panicked drove off while a police officer who had stopped him still had his hand inside the car.

Dale Wilson appeared at Carlisle Crown Court, where he pleaded guilty to dangerous driving.

Officers in an unmarked police car saw Wilson driving his black Ford S-Max on Wigton Road on November 8. They saw him pull into the car park of the Co-op supermarket and drive around in circles.

They followed him in and flashed their blue lights.

The two officers the stopped him and started talking to Wilson.

“As the conversation was going on he stopped talking, hit the start button and moved off. The door was still open and the PC tried to pursue the vehicle on foot,” said Gerard Rogerson, prosecuting.

“He reached into the car to remove the keys but this was a keyless start system.”

The officer continued to chase him but Wilson picked up speed and drove away.

This officer was picked up by his colleague and they followed Wilson in their vehicle.

Mr Rogerson said they saw Wilson driving at speed and overtaking other cars by crossing to the wrong side of the road before they lost sight of him.

Wilson, 34, later abandoned his car and made his way back to his home on Dunmail Drive in Morton, Carlisle, where he was later arrested.

When interviewed he told officers: “It was a bit of a stupid thing to do really.”

Marion Weir, defending, told the court Wilson had five previous convictions – the last of which was in 2007 – and had spent time in prison.

She said: “Since then he has very much grabbed life and taken himself forward.”

Wilson has been in employment since his last conviction and now has his own business. He had been drinking that night and was worried he would lose his licence as a result.

“It was a stupid decision to leave the car park that night,” she added.

Judge Barbara Forrester told Wilson: said: “I accept you have been making great efforts to sort out your life,” she added.

Wilson was given a 12-month driving ban. He was also given a curfew between 8pm and 6am for two months and electronically tagged. He also has to pay a victim’s surcharge of £60.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Are positive efforts to encourage more women into the nuclear industry necessary?

Efforts to better educate girls at school in sciences, technologies & maths would be more worthwhile

No, unless well qualified women are being turned away at Sellafield's door

Yes, girls and women need to know their career options are limitless

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: