Pair facing jail over Cumbrian cannabis farm
Last updated at 12:22, Wednesday, 07 November 2012
A man and a woman from Vietnam have both admitted being involved in running a cannabis farm near Maryport.
Tan Van Hoang, 38, and Hien Thi Phan, 36, are now likely to be deported once they have finished what was described at Carlisle Crown Court as “inevitable” prison sentences.
The pair were arrested after police raided a house on the outskirts of Flimby, near Maryport, in July and discovered 700 cannabis plants, together with the heating and lighting equipment needed to cultivate the class B drug.
Hoang pleaded guilty last month to a charge of being concerned in the production of cannabis.
And yesterday Phan admitted her guilt too.
Her barrister Jonathan Clarke told the court she did so on the basis that she had helped her friend Hoang with his illegal activities while spending about a week on a “social visit” to west Cumbria.
The court heard the prosecution valued the potential drugs crop at £400,000, but defence advisers reckoned it would have been worth less than that.
The prosecution’s figure was based on the crop producing a likely 24.6 kilograms of cannabis – the defence said it would have produced only 17 kilos.
The pair were remanded in custody and will be sentenced later.
Judge Peter Hughes QC said prison sentences were inevitable. He added they would almost certainly be deported.
First published at 12:01, Wednesday, 07 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)