Organisers hope for sun for biggest-ever Cumberland Show
Last updated at 12:50, Friday, 13 June 2014
Organisers of tomorrow’s Cumberland Show are praying for another sun-soaked success.
Horns, hooves and halters are already on the moo-ve, as thousands of animals make their way to the curtain-raiser of the county’s show season in Carlisle.
The Cumberland Show Society is predicting the biggest event to date with online ticket sales going “through the roof”.
Last year saw 20,000 people through the gates of Carlisle Racecourse and hand the show a rosier future. Secretary Lorraine Phillips said: “A decision was made to withdraw the advance ticket facility from June 6, but even still figures look good, into the thousands.”
And if weather forecasters are to be believed this year will enjoy sunshine, albeit with some cloud.
Entries for all classes are up on previous years with almost 500 sheep, 250 cattle and 700 horses.
Away from the livestock competition rings, there are bumper entries also in the industrial section – with more than 3,800 Home Industries entries, up by almost 500 on last year. A range of other family entertainment and attractions are also being staged.
Farming Minister George Eustice will be at the show, which has Carrs Billington as its main sponsor, along with Meurig Raymond, president of the NFU.
First published at 12:49, Friday, 13 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years