Opening date set for new west Cumbrian hospital
Published at 14:19, Thursday, 19 December 2013
A new £11 million community hospital will open in west Cumbria on January 27.
That is when Castlegate and Derwent GP surgeries are due to move into Cockermouth hospital alongside a new pharmacy.
The hospital will have an 11 bed ward and community health clinics including physiotherapy and podiatry. There will also be consultant clinics, vascular screening, retinoscopy and NHS dentistry services.
The hospital - next to the existing one on Isel Road - will also be the base for children's community nurses, midwives, health visitors and district nurses.
Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust will run community health clinics in the new building and the ward, probably from February.
Mark Day, executive director of Community Health Partnership North, said: "This wonderful new community hospital will provide the people of Cockermouth and the surrounding area with not only modern, purpose built healthcare facilities, but also the services to meet their needs now and in the future."
He added the partnership had worked with various partners "to deliver a first-class hospital that enables GPs and other healthcare providers to better meet the needs of the community".
North Cumbria University Hospitals Trust will run paediatric and midwifery clinics from the building. The start dates have not yet been confirmed.
The current hospital will be demolished and the site turned into a wildflower meadow.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)