Oddball stalker jailed for devastating harassment campaign
Last updated at 11:27, Wednesday, 11 June 2014
An “oddball” stalker has been jailed after a “devastating” campaign of harassment.
Michael John Paley was sentenced to 26 weeks in jail by magistrates after the 49-year-old, of Salthouse Road, Millom, appeared by video-link from prison.
The court heard how on three occasions between January 9 and February 17 last year, he was spotted lurking in the lane behind Sally Carter’s home in Steel Green, Millom, wearing tiny shorts and a vest top.
Despite being found guilty of stalking following a trial on May 14, the court heard Paley still believed he has not committed an offence.
He was found guilty of stalking Mrs Carter, a nurse, after she reported him to social services about an allegation which was later found to be unsubstantiated.
At a previous hearing Paley was described as an “oddball” by Mrs Carter and the court was told he had lived with his mother at their Salthouse Road home until she was taken into care.
Paley was handed a 26-week jail sentence.
He has already served three weeks after being jailed for a breach of bail conditions after writing a blog post about his trial.
First published at 11:26, Wednesday, 11 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (48 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)