Investigation into nuclear train derailment in Cumbria
Last updated at 21:08, Monday, 16 September 2013
Emergency services have declared the incident closed after a nuclear train derailed in Barrow today.
The incident happened at Salthouse Junction, near Barrow train station, shortly after 2pm.
A spokesman for International Nuclear Services Ltd (INS), a subsidiary of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority responsible for the management and transport of nuclear material, said the train had been on its way to Sellafield carrying empty nuclear flasks.
He said: "The flasks were being transported from Barrow and had been shipped to the UK from Japan."
A statement from operator Direct Rail Services said: "Work will now focus on recovering the derailed rolling stock. An investigation will be carried out into the cause of derailment in accordance with Rail and Nuclear Transport Regulations."
Earlier today DRS released a statement saying: "At approximately 2pm today two wagons on a DRS train were involved in a slow speed (walking pace) derailment at Salthouse Junction, near Barrow.
"The train, which was carrying three empty waste flasks, from Barrow terminal, was destined for Sellafield.
"No-one was injured as a result of the incident and all appropriate railway procedures have been activated, in accordance with standard industry requirements. DRS personnel are attending the site and information on when the wagons will be re-railed will be provided as soon as this is available."
A British Transport Police spokesperson said: “BTP officers were called to the line close to Barrow-in-Furness rail station following a report that a freight train had partially derailed.
“The incident, which was reported to BTP at 2.13pm, is currently being treated as a railway operating incident.
“The train, an empty nuclear train operated by Direct Rail Services, was travelling at around 5mph. All wagons have remained upright and there are no reported injuries.”
A spokeswoman from Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service confirmed a call was received at 2.18pm reporting a derailment.
The spokeswoman said five appliances were called to the scene but no further action was required and the incident posed no risk to the public. The train was still upright and control of the incident has been passed over to Direct Rail.
Fire crews from Walney, Dalton and Barrow attended.
Passenger services have been disrupted and replacement bus services are running on trains out of Barrow.
First published at 14:40, Monday, 16 September 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian bride wins wedding dress battle after death of fiance (10 comments)
- Grey squirrel cull plan in Cumbria (2 comments)
- Drop in pupils offered first choice secondary places in Cumbria (4 comments)
- Barriers going up to keep travellers off Carlisle park (1 comment)
- Carlisle bucks national shopping trend (7 comments)
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (73 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (5 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (31 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|