'Nothing happened,' says ex-soldier accused of raping schoolgirl
Last updated at 12:05, Friday, 31 January 2014
A former soldier accused of raping a schoolgirl in the 1980s told a court there was no truth in the allegations he faces.
Stephen Edward Barlow, 41, took to the witness box in his trial to state: "Nothing happened."
Barlow is charged with six counts of rape, all of which date back more than two decades, when he lived in Maryport.
The woman he is accused of raping was under 16 at this time.
Carlisle Crown Court, where Barlow is on trial, was previously told she contacted the police with her allegations last year.
Barlow, who now lives in Wales, was questioned by defence barrister Matthew Darford yesterday.
Mr Darford said: “You've heard what is alleged against you.
“Is there any truth in it?”
Barlow replied: “None at all.”
Jonathan Dickinson, prosecuting, asked him: “Did you think you'd got away with it all these years?"
Barlow answered: "I never did anything to get away with."
The court heard Barlow was in the Army for 14 years and served in places including Northern Ireland, Bosnia and Kosovo.
He denies all six charges. The trial continues.
First published at 11:21, Friday, 31 January 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)