Woman dies in fire tragedy
Last updated at 17:21, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
A woman has died after allegedly setting herself alight.
Emergency services were called to an address in Roweltown, near Carlisle, at 10.45am on Sunday after reports of the tragedy, reportedly in a garden.
A spokeswoman for Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service said: “We were called to the property on Sunday morning but unfortunately there was nothing the firefighters could do but make sure the scene was safe.”
She added that forensic investigators were at the scene.
The North West Ambulance Service confirmed that they had also been called to the fire, but did not take any action. Officers from Cumbria police initially attended but confirmed that the case had now been passed to the coroner.
Police have yet to release the identity of the woman but it is believed she lived locally.
One neighbour said: “She was a lovely woman. Everybody round here is so shocked. She was such a hard worker on the farm and such a nice person.
“None of us expected anything like this to happen.”
The body was found by a local couple who were out walking.
First published at 17:19, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|