Woman dies in fire tragedy
Last updated at 17:21, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
A woman has died after allegedly setting herself alight.
Emergency services were called to an address in Roweltown, near Carlisle, at 10.45am on Sunday after reports of the tragedy, reportedly in a garden.
A spokeswoman for Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service said: “We were called to the property on Sunday morning but unfortunately there was nothing the firefighters could do but make sure the scene was safe.”
She added that forensic investigators were at the scene.
The North West Ambulance Service confirmed that they had also been called to the fire, but did not take any action. Officers from Cumbria police initially attended but confirmed that the case had now been passed to the coroner.
Police have yet to release the identity of the woman but it is believed she lived locally.
One neighbour said: “She was a lovely woman. Everybody round here is so shocked. She was such a hard worker on the farm and such a nice person.
“None of us expected anything like this to happen.”
The body was found by a local couple who were out walking.
First published at 17:19, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Row erupts in Carlisle over £80 fines for not using gullsacks (21 comments)
- Cumbrian bride wins wedding dress battle after death of fiance (17 comments)
- Grey squirrel cull plan in Cumbria (15 comments)
- Drop in pupils offered first choice secondary places in Cumbria (5 comments)
- Barriers going up to keep travellers off Carlisle park (4 comments)
- Carlisle bucks national shopping trend (8 comments)
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (75 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (7 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|