North Cumbrian pensioner held on rape charge
Last updated at 12:05, Monday, 18 February 2013
A pensioner has been arrested on suspicion of raping a teenage girl.
Police said a man, 71, from Wigton, was held over a report at the weekend that a girl, also from north Allerdale, had been sexually assaulted “over a period of several months”.
Officers were immediately deployed to speak to the girl on Saturday, and carry out a number of forensic searches at a house in the Aspatria area. A police spokeswoman said: “The girl is being supported by family members and specially-trained officers at this time.”
The man was placed on bail until March 28 while inquiries continue.
First published at 12:03, Monday, 18 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (31 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (45 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (106 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (17 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"