North Cumbria Scout leader jailed for sex attack on boy
Last updated at 11:01, Thursday, 20 June 2013
A Scout leader from north Cumbria has been jailed after he admitted a sex attack on a boy 25 years ago.
Antony Brooke, 43, was finally brought to justice during a brief hearing at Cardiff Crown Court when he pleaded guilty to the 1988 assault.
The scouting enthusiast, of Tait Street, Carlisle, was jailed for 10 months and put on the Sex Offenders’ Register for the next 10 years. The judge in the case also banned him from working with children.
Brooke was due to stand trial but admitted the offence just a few weeks before the hearing was due to start.
A spokesman for the Scout Association confirmed that Brooke was a volunteer leader with the movement in north Cumbria for a number of years, but declined to say where.
He would neither confirm nor deny that Brooke – known by his friends as Tony – volunteered in Dalston, a claim sent anonymously to the News & Star office.
The spokesman said Brooke was given a Criminal Records Bureau check but it is thought that he has no previous criminal history, and so would not have been flagged up as a person of high risk.
The spokesman said: “He was suspended from any form of contact with the movement as soon as police began their investigations.
“He has not been involved since his arrest.
“We can confirm that he will never again be allowed to work within the Scout movement.”
He said systems were in place to offer support and reassurance to local Scout volunteers and this is likely to have happened in this case.
The spokesman added: “Fortunately, cases such as this involving a current Scout leader are rare.
“The Scout Association has co-operated fully with the statutory agencies.
“The Scout Association carries out stringent vetting of all adults who work with young people and requires them to work to a strict code of practice.”
In one recent Facebook post, a person going under the name Tony Brooke has praised the organisation of a Carlisle Scout Day event, but the association pointed out that this was before his arrest.
Few details of Brooke’s offence have been revealed, other than that it happened in South Wales in 1988.
First published at 10:59, Thursday, 20 June 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (103 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (16 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (169 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (37 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (31 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (6 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)