North Cumbria hospitals boss paid £129,000 for 5 months work
Last updated at 11:46, Thursday, 22 December 2011
The boss of north Cumbria’s hospitals has been paid £129,000 for his first five months in post, it has been revealed
Dr Neil Goodwin is the full-time interim chief executive of the North Cumbria University Hospitals Trust, which runs both the West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven, and Carlisle’s Cumberland Infirmary.
The figure was revealed following a request to the Trust by under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act. It equates to around £25,800 a month – similar to a year’s salary for some senior nurses.
Dr Goodwin started work at the cash-strapped trust in June. The figure provided by the trust through FOI was the total paid up until the end of October.
Sean Gibson, a regional organiser with the health union Unison, said: “It is a sickening amount of money at a time when many of his staff will not have a pay rise this year or next. Does this represent value for money considering his trust is spending £1.2 million per month over and above budgets?”
Sandra Bullock, Royal College of Nursing Officer, Northern Region, said: “While we recognise that leadership is very important, we would question whether it is really sensible for a trust experiencing financial difficulties to pay their interim chief executive what equates to more than £25,000 a month.”
The trust was asked if it would like to comment on the figure and also asked how long Dr Goodwin is expected to be with the trust.
Its head of communications and reputation management, Elizabeth Kay, said further questions on the matter should go through the Freedom of Information process.
First published at 11:25, Thursday, 22 December 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)