No regrets over way Stuart Hyde suspension was handled - Richard Rhodes
Last updated at 16:38, Monday, 02 September 2013
Cumbria's police and crime commissioner Richard Rhodes has no regrets over the way in which the suspension of his temporary chief constable Stuart Hyde was handled.
In an interview today, he said he believed he was right and entitled to take issue with the findings of the South Wales force investigation into complaints against Mr Hyde and call for his resignation or retirement.
He stands by his view, expressed last week, that Mr Hyde could not continue to serve as chief of Cumbria Constabulary.
Mr Hyde, he said, had not received a pay-off as part of any deal or settlement .
"Nothing. Absolutely nothing," he said.
In response to calls for his own resignation, he said: "There's a lot of support for the job I'm doing as PCC and there has been support too for the way in which this matter has been handled by me.
"This was never personal. I have only been in the same room as Mr Hyde on two occasions. There was a process which had to be followed. One which had been started by the Police Authority before my election."
Mr Rhodes confirmed complaints made against Mr Hyde came from a small number of people in Mr Hyde's senior team. "More than two. But a very small number."
He said: "Yes, it crossed my mind that there may have been some mischief at play. I did wonder about a workplace conspiracy. But 50 people were questioned as evidence was gathered... that's a big conspiracy."
He said he fully supported temporary chief constable Bernard Lawson's decision to lift suspension and have Stuart Hyde return to work on September 9 as deputy chief constable.
He will then retire at the end of the year - five months ahead of his contract as deputy expiring in May. Because he is on a final salary pension arrangement, his pension will be paid on the basis of his salary as chief constable, £130,000 a year.
Mr Rhodes said he now wanted to move on from "distractions" and get on with the job of PCC.
He would not discuss his own undisclosed expenses, nor the whistleblowing case still pending against one of the people who disclosed his claim for a chauffeur driven Mercedes to an evening function and home again.
"Everybody is remembered for one or two things," he said. "On my gravestone it will say two taxis - £700."
"That wasn't me. It was a decision taken by the chief constable. A report had to be made to the police following suspicion of infringement of data protection law."
First published at 16:18, Monday, 02 September 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
@World wise Cumbrian. I knew Rhodes had been a Head Teachwer, but I didn't realise he'd been a Magistrate as well! That puts his mishandling of the Stuart Hyde fiasco into perspective!
Now that all the 'radid reactions' have subsided on this very revealing topic it is worth relecting on the decision making ability of this PCC. Clearly he has not demonstrated the necessary depth of knowledge application or indeed diplomatic experise in any part of his PCC role.
Perhaps more importantly this debacle certainly begs the question over the acuracy of his previous decisions as magistrate.??
View all 37 comments on this article