New windfarm could have teaching spin-off claims Lakes College boss
Last updated at 12:12, Friday, 27 April 2012
Plans for a new windfarm in west Cumbria have been formally backed by Lakes College.
The planned Weddicar Rigg six turbine farm, near Whitehaven, would create 50 new jobs and at least 15 apprenticeships.
Cath Richardson, college principal, has supported the planning application by Banks Renewables, which wants to erect the turbines.
Ms Richardson, in a statement of support to Copeland council, which will decide on the scheme, said that the scheme would provide funding to support the development of a community apprenticeship scheme.
She said: “The wind farm could also offer support for our teaching programme, providing access to planners, developers and work on construction sites.”
It would enhance aspects of the college’s curriculum delivery and its student experience.
“It could also offer significant opportunities in terms of skills development and employment for both our local young people, particularly those not currently in employment, education or training, and adult unemployed residents within our communities,” she said.
It fitted in with key strategic priorities of the college in terms of regeneration and opportunities.
The turbines would create energy to supply 9,500 homes.
First published at 11:25, Friday, 27 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Government backs plan to divert traffic away from Warwick Bridge (26 comments)
- A595 is Cumbria's most dangerous road, police figures show (29 comments)
- Calls for action on future of derelict Carlisle hotel (38 comments)
- Improving A66 and A69 road 'very tricky and complex' says highways boss (48 comments)
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (62 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (50 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (116 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (36 comments)
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (17 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|