New plans lodged to revamp Carlisle's St Nicholas Gate retail park
Published at 11:24, Tuesday, 10 April 2012
New plans have been submitted for a major Carlisle business development.
Councillors had previously controversially approved plans to include a new 46,300sq ft food store as part of the redevelopment of the St Nicholas Gate retail park.
Planning officers had recommended the application should be refused, on the grounds that a new store in London Road would harm the chances of getting a supermarket in Morton.
But councillors on the development control committee dismissed that argument.
The latest plans to go before the council, centre around improved pedestrian, cycle and car access to the site, as part of a section 278 agreement between the developer and Cumbria County Council.
A spokesman for Savills, which has submitted the plans, explained: “The new applications are essentially an overall package of junction improvements.
“It now includes cycle ways right up to the junction, which previously there were not, and the separating of sorts of the car lanes to make it more straightforward to get into the retail park.
“The size and locations of the units have not changed, except for number 10 – a small retail kiosk – which has been reduced in size slightly to accommodate the improved junctions.”
No date has yet been set for the plans to go before Carlisle City Council for final approval.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)