'New' name for Carlisle city centre pub after revamp
Last updated at 13:05, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
A pub in Carlisle city centre is to undergo a £150,000 investment that will see it relaunch with a fresh new look and its original name.
Pippins on Lowther Street, which is owned by the Spirit Pub Company, will close on March 4 for a refurbishment, reopening on March 13 as the Apple Tree.
Spirit aims to restore the listed building and return it to its former glory.
The refurbishment will give the pub a new look and feel both inside and out, including updating the decor, bringing in additional furniture and improving the menu.
General manager, Dionne Dillion, decided to recognise the pub’s history within the community by changing its name from Pippins to Apple Tree.
Dionne said: “The pub has always been known by the regulars as the Apple Tree and when we given the green light for the refurbishment we felt now would be the right time to take the pub back to where it started.
“It’s encouraging to see that while other pubs are being demolished around Carlisle, our guests are still committed to visiting their favourite drinking hole, keeping us going strong and worth investing in.”
The Spirit Pub Company owns and operates 791 managed pubs across the UK. The investment is part of Spirit’s goal to refurbish all in the next few years. More than £83m was spent on refurbishing the estate in the last financial year.
First published at 12:56, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- The rise and fall of Carlisle's Celtic Nation (17 comments)
- Historic Carlisle house could be demolished (51 comments)
- Plans for 100 homes in Cumbrian town set to be approved (11 comments)
- Carlisle mobile phone problems are priority, says Vodafone (33 comments)
- Six issues to fix Cumbria's healthcare revealed (11 comments)
- Thousands of starfish stranded on Cumbrian beach (11 comments)
- Takeaway boss blames council building site in Carlisle for lack of trade (25 comments)
- Row over Tory MP hopeful's election banner in Carlisle (68 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|