New flag flying over old county of Cumberland
Last updated at 12:39, Friday, 22 February 2013
A new flag will soon be fluttering in the breeze at locations around the historic county of Cumberland.
The former county, which merged with Westmorland and parts of Lancashire and Yorkshire to make up Cumbria in 1974 has finally had an official flag registered in its own name.
A green, blue and white flag was flown over Eland House, home to the Department of Communities and Local Government at Cumbria Day last week – although there was speculation it was flown upside down.
The Historic Counties Trust co-ordinated the registration to give Cumberland a flag. They are already being sent out to supporters including Cockermouth Castle, Cumbria Military Museum in Carlisle Castle and Wordsworth House in Cockermouth
The new design features blue and white wavy lines covering nearly half the flag, while the other half is adorned with three white flowers and a green background.
Zoe Gilbert, manager of Wordsworth House, said: “We are really impressed with the dramatic design, which represents the county perfectly. This is another great way to bring heritage back to life.”
Rory Stewart, MP for Penrith and the Border, said: “I think it is fantastic that the historic county of Cumberland is to have a new flag.”
First published at 12:35, Friday, 22 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|