Mum was drunk in charge of baby on Carlisle's Botchergate
Last updated at 11:41, Wednesday, 07 August 2013
A mother in court for being drunk in charge of an eight-month-old baby was four times the legal drink-drive limit.
Kerry Louise Anderson, 33, was so drunk when she took the baby – which was in a pushchair – into a city centre pizza shop that staff alerted police because they were concerned at her condition.
Anderson, of Borland Avenue, Botcherby, Carlisle, admitted being drunk in charge of a child aged under seven when she appeared before North Cumbria magistrates.
The court heard how Anderson was in the city on the evening of July 7, having been shopping with her mother. When they parted Anderson, who had her eight-month-old child with her in a pushchair, went into Mario’s Pizza shop.
Jane Mackrill, prosecuting, said the assistant watched as Anderson walked up Botchergate and called police because she was worried that the woman was drunk, as she was swaying across the pavement.
Officers who approached Anderson found her unsteady on her feet. She was given a breath test for evidential purposes which showed she had 163mcgms of alcohol in 100ml of breath. The legal driving limit is 35.
Geoff Lockerbie, defending, said that after leaving her mother she intended to go home but phoned her partner and found he was in a pub with some friends.
She was annoyed and, on meeting her friends, went to Woodrow Wilsons bar on Botchergate where she drank white wine and soda. She didn’t realise the effect this would have on her having been in the Appletree pub beforehand.
He told the court Anderson was “very sorry and contrite”.
Anderson, who the court heard was getting help for her problems, was fined £65 plus costs of £85 and a £20 victim surcharge.
First published at 11:32, Wednesday, 07 August 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)