Saturday, 28 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

More Duke of Lancaster troops to be sent to Afghanistan

A second battalion of soldiers, many of which are recruited from Cumbria, will be deployed to Afghanistan, it was announced today.

Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said that 2nd Battalion, The Duke of Lancaster Regiment and elements of 4th Battalion – understood to involve Territorial Army recruits – would both be deployed as part of Operation Herrick 18.

The next changeover of UK forces in the conflict zone is due to take place in April. This is when the majority of members of 1st Battalion, The Duke of Lancaster will return.

The role of UK troops in Afghanistan is continuing to evolve, with the focus now more on training the Afghan National Army.

Mr Hammond said about half of the units announced for deployment will form Task Force Helmand, under command of 1st Mechanised Brigade, while the remainder will deploy within Helmand and other location.

The tour is expected to last for six months.


News & Star What's On search


Has the bubble burst on Black Friday?

Yes. You can get bargains every day for weeks now

No way! I bagged a load of bargains

After the manic scenes of last year it was always going to settle down

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: