Missing man's family thank Cumbria searchers
Last updated at 09:30, Friday, 02 May 2014
The family of a man who went missing during a family holiday in Cumbria have thanked the people who have been searching for him.
A major search has been underway to find John Allen, of Preston, who disappeared from the Ravenglass area earlier this week.
A number of agencies have been involved, including the police, Coastguard, Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, CNC, National Police Air Service and mountain rescue teams.
Today, the 76-year-old's family said: "Thirteen members of the Allen family from Preston enjoyed a memorable few days last weekend in the beautiful Eskdale valley.
“John, a keen, capable, mountain walker and the most senior Allen, took his dog for its usual morning walk on Monday morning - something he loved to do.
"It appears that for some unknown reason John got into difficulties whilst walking near the River Esk Estuary around Ravenglass and subsequently never returned from his walk.
“The search continues throughout the area and the family wish to express their deep gratitude to wider family, friends, the local community and numerous emergency organisations, in particular Cumbria police and coastguards, for their unrelenting, ongoing support at this most difficult time,” said a statement.
Mr Allen is described as 5ft 8in tall, of slim build and bald. He was wearing a green fleece, green suede trousers and walking boots. He was last seen at Ravenglass Estuary at around 9am on Monday.
Anyone who may have seen someone matching this description should call police on 101.
First published at 09:19, Friday, 02 May 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (22 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (118 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (7 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (19 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (58 comments)