Married man stole handbags from elderly women in Carlisle pub
Published at 11:04, Saturday, 21 June 2014
A 34-year-old married man has been given a suspended prison sentence after he stole handbags from elderly women in a Carlisle pub.
Paul Little was given a three-month suspended sentence after he targeted a couple out celebrating their wedding anniversary and another woman.
The couple, who were in Woodrow Wilson’s, in Botchergate, lost the bag on April 8, the day after another woman lost her handbag which contained £200.
Little, of Hillary Grove, Harraby, admitted three thefts when he appeared at North Cumbria Magistrates’ Court. Two involved the handbags and the third was a bottle of wine from a shop.
Prosecutor John Moran said that, on both occasions at the pub, the victims were sitting near the toilets.
On the first occasion, Little walked past the table and took the handbag, which was later discarded outside.
The next day, he was sitting at the next table to the couple and took the bag, which contained £150, from underneath it.
Little also admitted the theft of a bottle of wine from the Co-op, in Harraby, on March 27.
Laura Harper, for Little, said her client was “a family man, and he admits he was drunk at the time”.
As well as the suspended sentence he was ordered to complete a one-year supervision order, pay £225 compensation, plus the cost of the wine, £85 court costs and an £80 victim surcharge.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years