Market to be held at Carlisle Railway Station
Last updated at 11:58, Wednesday, 26 March 2014
Traders will be able to set out their stall at Carlisle railway station this weekend as the platform is turned into a market place.
A selection of vintage stalls will be in the station from Friday to Monday offering everything from jewellery, porcelain, clothing, local artwork and antiques.
Around 14 stands a day will be on the platform with stalls also offering Indian pickles, jams and charity goods.
Virgin Trains, which manages the station, has teamed up with Carlisle vintage shop Warwick Tower, where many of the stalls are normally located, in order to boost the local economy and give people a new shopping experience.
Mark Green, station and onboard manager at Carlisle Station, said: “We’ve got a fantastic station at Carlisle and we really want to make the most of it.
“The Victorian architecture of the building is the perfect backdrop for shoppers to pick up some bargains from some of the city’s best independent retailers.
“We’re really pleased that we’ve been able to develop this partnership with Warwick Tower as part of our ongoing commitment to forge stronger links with local businesses.”
Stuart Bruce-Gormley from Warwick Tower in Warwick Road, said: “We knew this had the potential to create a unique event for the small businesses of north Cumbria.
“They came across to Warwick Tower and I could tell by their enthusiasm that they loved what we had done, both by setting up a place where independent traders could get a city centre location at a reasonable cost to trade from, seven days a week, and also by our legacy of running our ‘Very Vintage Affairs’ across Cumbria and having a good contact list.”
First published at 11:45, Wednesday, 26 March 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years