Man with lit lighter runs round Carlisle petrol station pulling out fuel pump nozzles
Last updated at 17:50, Monday, 25 February 2013
Terrified staff called police to Hardwicke Circus petrol station over fears that a man was going to blow it up.
Staff dialled 999 shortly before 9pm yesterday to report a man “running around the forecourt of the Shell garage in Carlisle with a lit lighter and cigarette”.
As he ran, he was pulling out fuel nozzles from their pumps. The woman working in the shop called the police, telling officers she was frightened he was going to “blow the garage up”. A police sergeant in the area raced to the scene, where he used his Pava spray to immobilise the man.
A spokesman for the garage said the member of staff was unharmed in the incident.
He added he was bemused by the reaction of the general public.
“The public did nothing,” he said, “they just carried on. There were three men in the door who stood and watched.
“Obviously people don’t have to do anything, but they all watched the police struggle.”
The spokesman said the man posed “a real risk” to safety. “He had a lit cigarette and a lighter in his hand.
“He was pulling out the nozzles. It was a real danger.”
A spokesman for Cumbria Police said: “A 28-year-old man from Harraby was arrested on suspicion of making threats to commit criminal damage.
“He was initially taken to a police station, but was later taken to the Cumberland Infirmary, in Carlisle, after he showed signs of being unwell.”
The man remained in custody this morning, and is expected to undergo health tests later today.
First published at 17:49, Monday, 25 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|