Man who led Cumbria police on 110mph car chase jailed
Published at 11:00, Friday, 15 February 2013
A driver who led police on a 110mph chase has been jailed for three years.
David Brown, 52, was found guilty of dangerous driving and driving while disqualified at Carlisle Crown Court.
He was also convicted of unlawfully possessing a kitchen knife found in his car.
Carlisle Crown Court heard that police chased Brown on the A66 after he was spotted doing a sudden U-turn in Cockermouth.
Brown, from Wickford in Essex, later crashed his BMW after his tyres were punctured by a police “stinger” device.
At one point during the chase he overtook a car on a blind bend at 80mph.
A police vehicle had to do 110mph to keep up with him.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle McVitie's staff reject changes to working conditions (63 comments)
- Starlings in Carlisle city centre causing major problems (50 comments)
- 15 people transferred after major incident at north Cumbrian hospitals (99 comments)
- Woods used by 'unsavoury' men for sex chopped down (91 comments)
- Carlisle residents vow to nab speeding drivers (38 comments)
- Unpaid overtime at Cumbrian hospitals rockets (22 comments)
- St Bees School to close (134 comments)
- Battle to recover £500,000 in unpaid council tax in Carlisle (22 comments)
- Row after Cumbrian school refuses to host nuclear meeting (47 comments)
- Carlisle wine shop to close (28 comments)
- Anger over new LED street lighting in Carlisle (59 comments)
Court & crime
- Laying charges at hospital doors (2 comments)
- Looks like Yorkshire made a mi-steak with Jeremy Clarkson (4 comments)
- It’s just the ticket (2 comments)
- Why Brampton-on-Sea doesn’t float my boat
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
- Barrow and Dalton among most desirable places to live - poll finds (19 comments)
- Keswick to Barrow walk now fully subscribed (3 comments)