Man trapped by falling rock on Lake District peak
Last updated at 07:37, Friday, 09 May 2014
A falling rock trapped a man and left him with a broken leg as he walked at Ennerdale.
The man was in a group of four walkers near the summit of Pillar when the incident happened at about 8.10pm yesterday.
Cockermouth Mountain Rescue Team responded to an emergency call and managed to locate the man and give him initial treatment at the scene.
The casualty was then put on a stretcher and lowered down the fell until he was below cloud level.
Once rescuers had found a suitable landing site out of the cloud, the RAF Sea King helicopter was able to winch the man up.
He was flown to Carlisle’s Cumberland Infirmary.
The incident took almost four hours in total and included 31 Cockermouth volunteers.
First published at 07:31, Friday, 09 May 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)