Man stopped by police trying to walk from Carlisle to Wigton smashed up phone box
Published at 11:40, Wednesday, 26 February 2014
A drunken night out has cost a Keswick man almost £200 after he was fined for smashing up a phone box.
Gavin Rose, 20, of Millfield Gardens, had been drinking in the town in the early hours of October 4.
At around 2am, he and a friend took a taxi to Carlisle, where they continued drinking.
Rose told Carlisle magistrates that at closing time they decided to save money on a taxi by walking to Wigton, believing that by the time they arrived there buses would be running and they could catch one back to Keswick.
However, they were spotted walking beside the A595 by police and officers took the pair to Thursby for their own safety.
Rose was seen trying to use a phone box in the village to call for a taxi home.
He became frustrated that the card-only phone would not accept his coins and on his way out of the box slammed its door.
This caused the door’s glass to smash, with owners BT putting the cost of the damage at £145.
Rose, who represented himself in court and pleaded guilty to a charge of criminal damage, said: “I just want to say that I am really sorry.”
He was ordered to pay £145 to BT for the damage as well as costs of £85.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|