Man dies after 'incident' in west Cumbrian town
Last updated at 14:20, Thursday, 03 April 2014
A man has died in hospital four days after an alleged assault.
Andrew Paul Armstrong, 46, of Central Avenue, Egremont, was taken to Whitehaven's West Cumberland Hospital following an incident in Central Avenue on Sunday afternoon.
A post mortem is to be carried out.
A 57-year-old man and 17-year-old youth, both from the Egremont area, were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and have been released on bail for six weeks.
Detective Inspector Gemma Hannah, of Cumbria police’s public protection unit, said: "Our thoughts are with Andrew’s family at this awful time.
"Our investigations are ongoing to establish the circumstances that led up to the alleged assault and find out exactly what has happened."
Police stress that despite reports on social media, there were no firearms involved, nor was there any danger to the general public.
Police continue to appeal for anyone with information to call 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
First published at 11:35, Thursday, 03 April 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)