Man seriously hurt, A66 in Cumbria closed after smash
Last updated at 19:52, Monday, 14 January 2013
One man has been seriously hurt in a two-vehicle crash which closed the main A66 road in Cumbria.
The Pride of Cumbria air ambulance airlifted the 24-year-old, who has a head injury, to the James Cook hospital in Middlesbrough.
The smash, near Brough, involved two light goods vehicles and happened at 2.10pm. The other driver, also a man, was not badly injured.
One person was trapped in their vehicle and had to be released by the fire service.
There was another two vehicle accident a short time later but no-one was hurt.
The A66 was closed in both directions and there was slow traffic both ways between the A685 junction in Brough and the B6542 junction in Great Ormside.
A diversion was in operation.
Westbound traffic was advised to use the A685 through Kirkby Stephen and eastbound traffic the M6 to junction 38 and then the A685.
The weight restriction on the A685 was lifted while the crash was dealt with.
The A66 was fully reopened shortly after 7.30pm.
First published at 15:31, Monday, 14 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)