Man rescued after 100ft Lake District fells fall
Published at 07:59, Monday, 12 November 2012
A 60-year-old man was rescued after falling 100 feet on a mountain.
The walker, from Lincolnshire, slipped and fell on Swirral Edge, Helvellyn, on Saturday.
He was walking with his daughter when he fell and sustained serious head and multiple injuries.
Patterdale Mountain Rescue Team was called out and was assisted by two passing members of the Penrith team. Great North Air Ambulance’s (GNAA) paramedics were first on the scene.
Along with a Sea King helicopter from RN Prestwick in Scotland, GNAA tried to evacuate the man from his location but low cloud made this impossible.
He was lowered down a scree slope before the helicopter was able to pick him up.
The man was then flown to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle. A GNAA spokesman described his condition as “stable”.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)