Man killed in north Cumbria road crash
Last updated at 15:21, Thursday, 29 March 2012
A man was killed in a crash on a main north Cumbrian road this morning.
The head-on smash, involving a Suzuki Swift car and a HGV, happened on the A596 at about 8.55am.
The car driver was pronounced dead at the scene. He is from the north Allerdale area.
The driver of the HGV, a 45-year-old man from Liverpool, was uninjured.
The A596 was temporarily closed from the Carlisle side and between Wigton and Thursby roundabout. It reopened at about 3pm.
Police, ambulance service and the air ambulance were called to the scene.
Collision investigators are trying to establish the circumstances surrounding the collision.
Anyone who saw the crash - or who has information that can help police - should call the West Cumbria Roads Policing Unit on 101.
The dead man has not been formally identified.
First published at 09:28, Thursday, 29 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)