Man killed in north Cumbria road crash
Last updated at 15:21, Thursday, 29 March 2012
A man was killed in a crash on a main north Cumbrian road this morning.
The head-on smash, involving a Suzuki Swift car and a HGV, happened on the A596 at about 8.55am.
The car driver was pronounced dead at the scene. He is from the north Allerdale area.
The driver of the HGV, a 45-year-old man from Liverpool, was uninjured.
The A596 was temporarily closed from the Carlisle side and between Wigton and Thursby roundabout. It reopened at about 3pm.
Police, ambulance service and the air ambulance were called to the scene.
Collision investigators are trying to establish the circumstances surrounding the collision.
Anyone who saw the crash - or who has information that can help police - should call the West Cumbria Roads Policing Unit on 101.
The dead man has not been formally identified.
First published at 09:28, Thursday, 29 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Warning as 1,800 council jobs hang in the balance (54 comments)
- New report tells how Talkin Tarn could become self-financing (15 comments)
- Fight to block £20 parking charge stepped up by campaigners (30 comments)
- New headline act for Carlisle's Christmas festivities (15 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator (11 comments)
- Carlisle star Matt Pagan gutted as Collabro Xmas lights switch-on called off (34 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (83 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (105 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (57 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (13 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Firefighters called after woman gets stuck in Ulverston pool
- Public can help decide future of historic Ulverston cottage (5 comments)
- Lucas Palfreeman
- New Ulverston emergency services centre planned (8 comments)
- Jobs hope as Cumbria lighting firm bags luxury jets contract
- Police descend on Ulverston home thought to be drugs hub
- Village holds summit on plans to demolish Coot
- News from Ulverston Operatic Society
- Ulverston photographer has answered the call of the wild
- Floods spark fresh fears over Ulverston housing