Man killed in crash on main Cumbrian road
Last updated at 14:23, Thursday, 13 December 2012
A man has been killed in an accident on a main Cumbrian road.
The male pedestrian, aged 53 and believed to be local, died at the scene of the crash, which happened at about 5.30pm on Tuesday, on the A66 at Braithwaite, near Keswick.
Police are trying to trace his family.
The road was closed in both directions between the B5292 near Braithwaite and the B5291 near Wythop Woods.
A diversion was in place through the village of Thorthwaite.
The road was closed until 11.40pm to allow the police to investigate the cause.
They were looking at whether ice may have been a factor in the crash. Icy conditions were last night reported on roads across the county.
Four drivers are helping police with their inquiries. No arrests have been made and their vehicles are undergoing examination by collision investigators.
Anyone who saw the crash should call PC John Firth, of the Western Roads Policing Unit, or Sergeant Jo Walker, of the Northern Roads Policing Unit, on 101.
First published at 19:14, Tuesday, 11 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- New report tells how Talkin Tarn could become self-financing (10 comments)
- Fight to block £20 parking charge stepped up by campaigners (21 comments)
- New headline act for Carlisle's Christmas festivities (14 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator (11 comments)
- Carlisle star Matt Pagan gutted as Collabro Xmas lights switch-on called off (34 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (83 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (105 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (56 comments)
- Work to start 'within weeks' on new supermarket in Carlisle (22 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (13 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Crarey to build Barrow Raiders team around Campbell (2 comments)
- Could overcrowding and fare hikes derail our train service?
- Workington clubbers rave as Madisons reunion event sells out (3 comments)
- Ulverston store developer tells of ‘frustrating time’ (50 comments)
- Cumbrian mum reveals ordeal of son abandoned in Kuwait by security firm