Man killed in crash on main Cumbrian road
Last updated at 14:23, Thursday, 13 December 2012
A man has been killed in an accident on a main Cumbrian road.
The male pedestrian, aged 53 and believed to be local, died at the scene of the crash, which happened at about 5.30pm on Tuesday, on the A66 at Braithwaite, near Keswick.
Police are trying to trace his family.
The road was closed in both directions between the B5292 near Braithwaite and the B5291 near Wythop Woods.
A diversion was in place through the village of Thorthwaite.
The road was closed until 11.40pm to allow the police to investigate the cause.
They were looking at whether ice may have been a factor in the crash. Icy conditions were last night reported on roads across the county.
Four drivers are helping police with their inquiries. No arrests have been made and their vehicles are undergoing examination by collision investigators.
Anyone who saw the crash should call PC John Firth, of the Western Roads Policing Unit, or Sergeant Jo Walker, of the Northern Roads Policing Unit, on 101.
First published at 19:14, Tuesday, 11 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|