Monday, 30 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Man jailed by Carlisle court for sending woman explicit texts

A man once jailed for plaguing his ex-wife with hundreds of offensive text messages has been sent back to prison again – for doing the same thing to another woman.

Bryan Stubbs was banned by court orders from having anything to do with either of the women. But he took no notice of the restraining orders and continued to make the women’s lives a misery by his constant attention.

At Carlisle Crown Court, the 54-year-old – who already had numerous convictions for failing to obey court orders – pleaded guilty to more charges of acting in breach of restraining orders.

He was jailed for 16 months and the restraining order was extended so that it will now run indefinitely.

Prosecutor Becky McGregor told the court that Stubbs had met his latest victim, Sharon Whyte, in April last year.

He started sending her so many text messages he ended up in court in September for harassing her.

Carlisle magistrates then imposed a restraining order, designed to make him leave her alone, but he continued pestering her, sending her hundreds of text messages professing his love for her, Ms McGregor said.

Even though she was working, Stubbs sent messages, telling her “I still love you”, the court heard.

Ms Whyte did not respond to any of them, thinking her silence would make him stop, Ms McGregor said.

But his endless “explicit and embarrassing text messages” continued throughout the day, and he told her he would go to her house to see her.

Ms Whyte did not take him seriously, knowing he was banned from seeing her, but he did indeed turn up at her home, asking her to make him a cup of coffee, Ms McGregor said.

“She was absolutely sick of it all,” she said.

The court heard that Stubbs had 24 previous convictions, including several breaches of court orders as well as one of assaulting his wife by “trying to strangle her”.

In mitigation, defence barrister Laura Nash said Stubbs could not explain why he behaved as he did.

“There are few saving graces,” she admitted.

She said that as a result of his behaviour Stubbs had lost his home in Manor Place, Carlisle.

When he came out of prison he would be living with his 22-year-old daughter, she said.


News & Star What's On search


Has the bubble burst on Black Friday?

Yes. You can get bargains every day for weeks now

No way! I bagged a load of bargains

After the manic scenes of last year it was always going to settle down

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: