Man found dead, another seriously hurt after Carlisle incident
Last updated at 22:18, Wednesday, 10 July 2013
One man has died and another has serious injuries after an incident in Carlisle.
Armed police were called to a property at Etterby Lea Road, Stanwix, at about 5.10pm today.
When officers entered, they found a man who was deceased and another man with serious injuries.
The injured man has been taken to the city's Cumberland Infirmary.
A force statement says they are investigating the circumstances and following up lines of enquiry.
They have yet to formally identify the man and tell his family.
Armed police were sent to the scene as a precaution and the area was cordoned off. People were urged to avoid the area.
This incident came after police arrested a man following a separate report that someone had been threatened with a gun in the Morton area.
Officers were involved in an operation there for nearly four hours.
A Cumbria police spokeswoman said: "Police have detained a man, 29, from Carlisle, following a report earlier today of a man threatening someone he knows with a gun.
"He was detained near Ashness Drive. Enquiries will continue to ascertain what exactly has happened."
Police urged people to avoid the area while their operation continued. They thanked people for their patience.
Officers were called out at 2.20pm.
A statement said the operation was "contained" and armed officers were dealing with it.
It is believed to have centred on a flat in Ashness Drive, which was cordoned off by police.
"Police are conducting enquiries and we do not believe there is any danger to members of the public," their statement added.
It is not thought the incidents are connected.
Anyone with information should call Cumbria Constabulary on 101.
First published at 16:52, Wednesday, 10 July 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Government backs plan to divert traffic away from Warwick Bridge (26 comments)
- A595 is Cumbria's most dangerous road, police figures show (29 comments)
- Calls for action on future of derelict Carlisle hotel (38 comments)
- Improving A66 and A69 road 'very tricky and complex' says highways boss (48 comments)
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (62 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (50 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (116 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (36 comments)
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (17 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Carlisle's city centre BHS store to close (37 comments)
- Curle: Assistant Colin West has been given "a couple of days off"
- Striker Ibehre eyeing promotion with Carlisle Utd
- Rain buckets down as Silloth Green hosts live performance of The Tempest
- Perfect weather for 'fabulous' Penrith Show - secretary
- Carlisle Utd's Project Blue Yonder stadium plan making little progress (14 comments)
- Row brewing over plans for 50 new homes in Wetheral (2 comments)
- Plans for 189 new homes in Carlisle get go-ahead (14 comments)
- Huge solar park set to get go-ahead in north Cumbria (2 comments)
- Family history page (75 comments)