Man dies after accident on hospital car park
Last updated at 12:59, Thursday, 17 January 2013
Doctors battled in vain to save the life of pensioner hit by a car in Penrith.
The man, described only as elderly and possibly from the Penrith area, was hit by a Suzuki Swift in the car park of the hospital at about 11.20am yesterday (Wednesday).
A Beep Fund doctor, based in Birbeck Health Centre next door to the hospital in Bridge Lane, rushed to the man’s side.
A spokesman for the Penrith and Eden based charity, which raises money to buy equipment for doctors to voluntarily help at incidents, said: “The doctor was in the health centre and she ran out, with other doctors from the practice, to try and help the man.
“She tried in vain to resuscitate the man, but his injuries were too severe.”
The North West Ambulance Service were also called to attend, but the man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Penrith Community Hospital is run by the Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, but the site is owned by NHS Cumbria, which also has its headquarters there.
An NHS Cumbria spokeswoman said: “A section of the car park outside the health centre at Penrith Hospital was cordoned off following a serious collision between a car and pedestrian.
“Anyone who may have witnessed the collision is asked to contact Cumbria police.
“NHS Cumbria will be informing the Health and Safety Executive.”
Police are investigating the accident and are working to identify the man and trace his family.
A spokeswoman for the force said officers are appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident to contact Cumbria Constabulary’s headquarters’ road policing unit by calling 101.
First published at 11:58, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|