Man dies after accident on hospital car park
Last updated at 12:59, Thursday, 17 January 2013
Doctors battled in vain to save the life of pensioner hit by a car in Penrith.
The man, described only as elderly and possibly from the Penrith area, was hit by a Suzuki Swift in the car park of the hospital at about 11.20am yesterday (Wednesday).
A Beep Fund doctor, based in Birbeck Health Centre next door to the hospital in Bridge Lane, rushed to the man’s side.
A spokesman for the Penrith and Eden based charity, which raises money to buy equipment for doctors to voluntarily help at incidents, said: “The doctor was in the health centre and she ran out, with other doctors from the practice, to try and help the man.
“She tried in vain to resuscitate the man, but his injuries were too severe.”
The North West Ambulance Service were also called to attend, but the man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Penrith Community Hospital is run by the Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, but the site is owned by NHS Cumbria, which also has its headquarters there.
An NHS Cumbria spokeswoman said: “A section of the car park outside the health centre at Penrith Hospital was cordoned off following a serious collision between a car and pedestrian.
“Anyone who may have witnessed the collision is asked to contact Cumbria police.
“NHS Cumbria will be informing the Health and Safety Executive.”
Police are investigating the accident and are working to identify the man and trace his family.
A spokeswoman for the force said officers are appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident to contact Cumbria Constabulary’s headquarters’ road policing unit by calling 101.
First published at 11:58, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (20 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (114 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (6 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (18 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (57 comments)