Man critical after attack on Carlisle street
Last updated at 11:06, Tuesday, 01 May 2012
A man was fighting for his life following an attack in Carlisle city centre early this morning.
The 34-year-old, from the west of the city, was taken for treatment at a hospital in Newcastle after his condition deteriorated following an assault in English Street just before 2am.
He was attacked outside the Outrageous night club. Officers said the incident “continued across the street”, finishing outside the B&M Bargains store opposite.
The injured man was taken to the city’s Cumberland Infirmary for treatment.
Detective Chief Inspector Lee Johnson, north Cumbria’s most senior detective, said the victim’s condition had deteriorated and he was taken to hospital in Newcastle. He was today described as being in a critical condition.
A 26-year-old Carlisle man was arrested in connection with the attack. An investigation was underway today and police are appealing for the public to come forward with any information that could help.
DCI Johnson added: “We are appealing for any witnesses who may have seen the incident itself or the circumstances leading up to it.”
A large section of English Street on the B&M Bargains side of the road was cordoned off this morning.
Two police officers stood guard outside the area involved in the inquiry as people made their way to work before 9am.
Officers want to speak to anyone who may have seen a man wearing baggy jeans, a black jacket and sporting a skinhead haircut.
Call officers at Carlisle CID with information on 101.
First published at 09:15, Tuesday, 01 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (22 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (118 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (7 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (19 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (58 comments)