Man charged with attempted rape of girl, 9, remanded in custody
Published at 12:33, Friday, 29 August 2014
A man has appeared in court accused of trying to rape a nine-year-old girl in the public toilets of a Workington park.
John Robert Newton, 26, of Fisher Street, Workington, faces charges of attempted rape, committing an assault causing actual bodily harm with the intention of committing a sexual offence, voyeurism and a separate linked assault.
He is also accused of two counts of breaching a previous court order.
Newton, wearing a dark jumper over a red top, sat in the dock at West Cumbria Magistrates' Court this morning with his jumper partially covering his face then looking at the floor as details of the alleged offences were put to him.
The court heard that some of the alleged offences took place in the ladies’ toilets in the cafe at Vulcan Park, Workington, on Tuesday. He is accused of common assault against another person.
The case was sent to Carlisle Crown Court, where Newton will appear for a preliminary hearing on September 15.
He was remanded in custody.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|