Man badly hurt in north Cumbria road crash
Last updated at 10:53, Monday, 26 November 2012
The main A69 Brampton bypass was closed for almost eight hours after a serious accident.
The smash happened at about 3.15pm yesterday one mile east of the town.
It involved a white Mercedes Sprinter van, which was travelling west and a dark grey Volkswagen Golf car, travelling east.
The Golf driver, a 56-year-old man from the Tyne and Wear area, was cut free from his vehicle before being flown by air ambulance to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle with serious head injuries.
The 47-year-old male van driver did not require hospital treatment. His vehicle spilled its cargo of window blinds onto the road.
Motorists were diverted through Brampton town centre and warned to expect delays.
At 9.30pm Cumbria police tweeted: "Van being recovered officers experiencing problems as the van has now spilled it's load. 1-2 hrs expected."
The road reopened shortly after 11pm.
Anyone who saw the collision should call the Northern Roads Policing Unit on 101.
First published at 16:28, Sunday, 25 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)