Tuesday, 01 December 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Man attacked wife in front of their young children

A thug who attacked his wife before sending her Facebook messages telling her to drop her complaint against him has been jailed.

Stephen Herald, of Buttermere Road, Maryport, sent the messages after being arrested for grabbing his wife’s hair before she fell to the floor, Carlisle Crown Court heard.

He also threw her mobile phone into the sink, breaking it, before she hit him with a cup in self-defence.

Their two children, aged three and four, were upset by what happened and are now scared of him, the court was told.

Herald told police in interview that nothing had happened and was released on bail.

Soon after he was wanted by police as he had failed to answer bail, at which point he began sending his wife messages on Facebook.

In the messages he wrote how he had not been locked up yet as “they can’t find me”.

He also told her to “ring, just say it didn’t happen, I wasn’t there”.

In others he told her to withdraw her police statement and pleaded for her to get in touch, the court was told.

Herald, 28, then went to his wife’s niece’s home where he was drunk, demanding to know where his wife was, and kicked the door in, causing more than £730 of damage. He was later found by police.

The court heard how Herald had earlier been arrested for possession of cannabis and mephedrone.

Police were alerted by Herald’s father who was concerned as his son had been suicidal, the court heard. Officers found more than 28g of cannabis, worth £283.

His mobile phone also contained numerous messages relating to drug deals.

Herald told police it was his wife who had been dealing and not him.

In a victim statement, Herald’s wife said she had suffered a number of health problems following the breakdown in their relationship and had been prescribed anti-depressants.

She added that she was upset that Herald had shown “no remorse” for what he had done and that she was frightened he might “come looking” for her when he was released from prison.

Brendan Burke, defending, said Herald had mental health problems but had been showing signs of improvement.

He also described how the offences had happened during a “chaotic” time in Herald’s life, when he was heavily using drugs and alcohol. He had also attempted suicide twice and his father had been so worried about him that he called police, Mr Burke added.

Herald, who had earlier pleaded guilty to common assault and criminal damage, also admitted possession of cannabis and was jailed for a total of 15 months.


News & Star What's On search


Do you feel safe going to football matches?

1: Yes - there is hardly any trouble compared to the bad old days

2: No - sadly you will always get idiots who spoil if for rest

3: Depends - some clubs' fans are far worse than others

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: