Man arrested on suspicion of rape in Carlisle bailed
Last updated at 08:35, Tuesday, 19 March 2013
A man arrested on suspicion of rape in Carlisle has been bailed by police.
The 46-year-old local man was interviewed by detectives yesterday (Monday).
He has been released on bail until April 8 while inquiries continue.
His arrest followed an allegation that a 22-year-old woman was sexually assaulted in the city between 1am and 3.30am yesterday after being picked up in a vehicle on Botchergate.
The woman, who had been on a night out with friends, was attacked inside the car before being dropped off in the Etterby Road area.
She then waved down the female driver of a small blue car who took her home, say police.
Officers appealed to this driver, who is believed to be a key witness, to come forward.
Detective Sergeant Matt Scott, who is leading the investigation, said: “I’d like to thank the local media who publicised our appeal so quickly which resulted in the motorist coming forward to speak to us this afternoon (Monday).
“I have thanked the motorist personally who contacted us less than one hour after we appealed for her to get in touch. We believe she acted as a good Samaritan and took the young woman home safely after she was subjected to a sexual assault.
“She is now able to provide us with a statement and our investigation is continuing this afternoon.”
The driver is a Carlisle woman and she gave officers a witness statement.
Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
First published at 14:12, Monday, 18 March 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (55 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (47 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (109 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (18 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (13 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"