Man arrested on suspicion of rape in Carlisle bailed
Last updated at 08:35, Tuesday, 19 March 2013
A man arrested on suspicion of rape in Carlisle has been bailed by police.
The 46-year-old local man was interviewed by detectives yesterday (Monday).
He has been released on bail until April 8 while inquiries continue.
His arrest followed an allegation that a 22-year-old woman was sexually assaulted in the city between 1am and 3.30am yesterday after being picked up in a vehicle on Botchergate.
The woman, who had been on a night out with friends, was attacked inside the car before being dropped off in the Etterby Road area.
She then waved down the female driver of a small blue car who took her home, say police.
Officers appealed to this driver, who is believed to be a key witness, to come forward.
Detective Sergeant Matt Scott, who is leading the investigation, said: “I’d like to thank the local media who publicised our appeal so quickly which resulted in the motorist coming forward to speak to us this afternoon (Monday).
“I have thanked the motorist personally who contacted us less than one hour after we appealed for her to get in touch. We believe she acted as a good Samaritan and took the young woman home safely after she was subjected to a sexual assault.
“She is now able to provide us with a statement and our investigation is continuing this afternoon.”
The driver is a Carlisle woman and she gave officers a witness statement.
Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
First published at 14:12, Monday, 18 March 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)